Year C

I’m back … (sorta)

As Lent began I decided to take a short break to focus on creating outfits for the Miracle Providers NorthEast and Wearable Arts Extravaganza IV: Beasts and Beauties. I committed to six outfits, which could include hats. I like dressing the performers/drag queens because they challenge me to step outside of my safe clothing making zone. This year I made six outfits and four hats, I used wool pant scraps, chiffon, satin, crepe de chine, tulle, denim, satin, pleather, faux suede and two fabrics I really don’t know what they are.

Seriously, someone dropped off fabric they were going to dye but didn’t like so I took it home, washed it and made sleeves and a ruffle out of one of them. The other was a shiny silver that I wanted for a short skirt/slip that would be “painted black” as black tulle dropped in place.

Then there were the bead embroidered faux buttons because I couldn’t find any film noir buttons I liked for the silk mock French cuffs attached to chiffon sleeves. And, of course, the matching wide brim hat, which I realized I forgot to put the veil on during dress rehearsal.

I had three goals this year:

  1. Print fabric created from images I painted.
  2. Use scraps as part of the design without being “scrappy.”
  3. Figure out how to make hats.

My next three posts will go more into each process and what I learned along the way. I’m aiming to post regularly again beginning with Pentecost Sunday, which is June 4!

Advertisements
Categories: Year C | Leave a comment

Blog at WordPress.com.